Who Should Attend?
This course is essential for anyone, working and living in the Gulf region, who desires awareness of how to conduct themselves professionally and correctly, in a multicultural society, such as the UAE / GCC.
About The Programme
The GCC workforce ranks as one of the most culturally diverse in the world, with many nationalities (around 200) living and working in the region. We are all aware that effective team performance depends on good, clear communication. This programme provides you with the cultural awareness tools necessary to avoid causing unintentional offence, or misunderstanding, and the ability to create a positive first impression. It is designed to increase awareness of the potentially negative impact of ‘stereotyping’. The course focuses on how tact, and a flexible approach to communication, can develop a winning formula within teams composed of different nationalities.
Good interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity are essential elements for highly productive employees. Being able to deal effectively with people from different cultures and backgrounds is vital for success in today’s competitive global business environment. Cultural sensitivity has become a vital component of day-to-day business activity.
- To enable participants to gain a clear understanding of the multicultural challenges in the workplace
- To recognise how these challenges have the potential to affect performance and interpersonal relationships
- To understand the role of good interpersonal skills in the multicultural workplaces of the Gulf region
- To encourage delegates to become aware of how they can successfully operate within a multicultural environment, and the importance of creating a positive, lasting first impression
What You Will Gain
- Techniques for improving the clarity of the message to be communicated within a multicultural team
- A clearer understanding of how your own culture influences your behaviour, and how to maximise interactions with others
- An understanding of the appropriate protocol and business etiquette needed in a multicultural environment
- An understanding of the ‘Do’s’ and ‘Don’ts’ of living and working in a multicultural environment
- Cultural Sensitivity
> What Is 'Culture'?
> Understanding Different Perspectives And Viewpoints Of Culture
- Understanding Why Values Are Important To Cultural Awareness
> The Dangers Of Stereotyping
> Dealing With Stereotyping
- Working With Multicultural Teams
- The Dimensions Of Culture
- ‘Culture Shock’
> Defining ‘Culture Shock’
> The Implications Of ‘Culture Shock’
> Cross-Cultural Competencies
> Interpersonal And Cultural Sensitivity
- Characteristics Of Successful Cross-Cultural Communicators
> Barriers To Effective Communication (‘Building Walls’ Activity)
> Overcoming The Barriers To Effective Communication
> The Communication Iceberg
> Cross-Cultural Negotiation
> Building And Maintaining Effective Relationships
> The Influence Matrix
- Action Plan For Future Learning
(Role-plays will be conducted during this programme)
Before the course each delegate will be asked to complete a Pre-Course Briefing Form to determine their individual objectives for attending the course. These objectives will be used by the Tutor to give on-target training that is focused on the individual delegates.
At the end of the course each delegate will be asked to complete a Personal Development Plan that can be used as part of future appraisals, and that will also be an important tool for management reference.
Total Investment: AED 2,150/- + VAT (applicable as of 1st January 2018), which includes - Training Materials, Lunch and Refreshments. Discount available for multiple bookings.