Prior to attending any of the Business Writing Courses, a written Assessment will be conducted to ensure delegates attend the course that best matches their written English ability.
Who Should Attend?
People who wish to significantly improve their written communication should attend this two-day programme. It is the ideal way to learn the basic skills of written communication in the English language. It is informative and practical, with excellent backup course notes that form a valuable reference source for the future. It is a course that is completely up-to-date, and suitable for everyone in business who has to communicate using the written word. A minimum requirement for this course is a working knowledge of English and basic grammar.
About The Programme
This two-day programme is a great introduction to Business Writing Skills. The course will give you clear guidelines and practice in how to write better internal and external correspondence. You will learn how to plan your writing carefully, and how to professionally structure different forms of business correspondence.
- To introduce the ten principles of Effective Business Writing
- To learn a step-by-step plan leading towards more effective and efficient business communication
- To know what to write at the beginning, middle, and end of each piece of writing
- To understand the difference between formal and informal language, and when each should be used
- To review some typical grammar challenges for non-native speakers of English
- To understand how to use plain and simple English
- To examine a variety of business documents and look at ways to improve them
- To enhance critical thinking by writing professional responses to various case studies / scenarios
- To understand how to create the right impression when writing
- To gain confidence in spelling, grammar, and writing
- To practise proofreading techniques
What You Will Gain
- Knowledge of the principles of effective Business Writing
- A clear understanding of appropriate business language
- Confidence in communicating using the written word
- Practical, ‘hands-on’ experience, and supportive Trainer feedback
- The Ten Key Principles Of Business Writing
- The Stages Of Writing (Planning, Drafting, Revising, Proofreading)
> Using Mind Maps And Bullet Points To Plan Your Writing
> The Five ‘W’s As A Writing Guide
- A Clear Framework For Business Communication
> Effective Beginnings And Endings Of Correspondence
> Useful Phrases For Common Situations
- Using Correct Grammar
> Common Verb Tenses
> Uncountable Nouns
> Definite And Indefinite Articles (‘The’, ‘An’, ‘A’)
> Using Prepositions Of Time, Place, And Movement (‘On’, ‘In’, ‘At’, ‘To’, Etc.)
- Correct Use Of Punctuation And Abbreviations
> Using Commas And Semicolons
> Rules For Apostrophes
> When To Use Full Stops For Abbreviations
- How To Use Plain And Simple English
- Formal And Informal Language
> Knowing The Difference, And When To Use Each One
- Choosing The Right Communication Channel
- Email Etiquette: Pros And Cons Of Email Issues
- Appropriate Complimentary Closes
- Creating The Right Impression
> Being Courteous
> Using The Correct ‘Tone Of Voice’ In Your Writing
- Structure, Style, And Layout, Of Business Letters
- Writing Internal Business Emails And Messages
- Proofreading, Practice, And Spelling Tips
- End Of Course Assessment
Please note, that while this is a Public Course, wherever possible the Tutor will try to adapt the materials according to the Business Writing needs of the individual participants.
Before the course each delegate will be asked to complete a Pre-Course Questionnaire to determine their individual objectives for attending the course. These objectives will be used by the Tutor to give on-target training that is focused on the individual delegates.
At the end of the course each delegate will be asked to complete a Personal Development Plan that can be used as part of future appraisals, and that will also be an important tool for management reference.
End of course ILM Assessment: Each delegate will be required to do a written one-hour Assessment at the end of the course. Delegates must get a 50% pass mark to receive an ILM Certificate.
Total Investment: AED 4,600/- + VAT, which includes – ILM Registration, Training Materials, Lunch and Refreshments. Discount available for multiple bookings.